Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

 

2013 brings new motivation and insight from 2012.


Last year, I made five resolutions for myself. I kept one.

In case you misread: I actually kept one!

I managed to stay out of debt. In 2011 I had finally managed to pay off the modest amount of credit card debt that I had acquired while I was finishing graduate school and looking for employment. In 2012, I had resolved to remain debt-free. It was not easy, especially because I worked part time through most of the year, so I am doubly proud to have made that one resolution stick.

So although I did not exercise three times per week throughout the year (that kind of thing comprised my other resolutions), I did resist many, many financial temptations. Fortunately, that self-control made it all the more rewarding when I did save up for a purchase. Rather than frittering away money on several small items of lesser quality, I limited myself to one or two nice things. I ended up feeling more appreciation for what I did buy, and I made less impulsive shopping decisions. A win-win, in my book! Because I put more thought and time into choosing what I bought, I was more selective about quality and style, and I enjoyed what I did buy infinitely more.

The lesson I learned from 2012? Financial consciousness plus quality equals appreciation.

Another lesson we can learn from this? You don't have to be rich to be chic! (And, as evident from any list of worst-dressed celebrities, being rich doesn't necessarily make one chic!) Just be thoughtful and selective in what you do buy. Jennifer L. Scott, an author and lifestyle blogger, agrees, "Quality above all."

While 2012 was about developing greater financial awareness, I resolve to make 2013 about curating greater cultural awareness. I've been to the Louvre in Paris and the Guggenheim in New York City (all thanks to the joyousness of vacation), but at the moment, I cannot even name a single museum or art exhibit that I've been to within a 50-mile radius. I resolve to change that in 2013 by attending more cultural events. My second resolution? To write more. (So far, so good.)

And now it's your turn. Here are two questions for your Tuesday:
  1. Did you follow your resolutions for 2012?
  2. What resolutions have you made for 2013?
The above photo was taken by me in 2009 near Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. 

2 comments:

  1. My resolution for 2013 is to write more often and clean the dishes. Seriously, they've developed the habit of taking over the sink and becoming sentient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the dishes is a resolution I need to adopt, too... Have you ever heard of Flylady? Her whole motto is about keeping your kitchen sink clean! She's at Flylady.net-- her site can be kind of motivating when I'm in a housekeeping slump.

    ReplyDelete